There are countless excursions and attractive stop-offs in northwestern Switzerland. Many of them are very family orientated. Below, you will find a brief selection of some of the most popular destinations in the area around Basel.
- Waldenburg Steam Train: www.blt.ch
- Wasserfallen gondola with sled run and tobogganing scooters: www.region-wasserfallen.ch
- Solar summer toboggan run: www.deinkick.ch
- Model railyway «Ysebähnli am Rhy»: www.ysebaehnli-am-rhy.ch. (Summer season only)
- Coin-operated electric cars for kids underneath the cherry tree Restaurant Schönmatt: www.restaurant-schoenmatt.ch Behind the old restaurant with a beautiful garden (serving child-sized meals), there is a small pen with little piglets, and a fun traffic training course with small coin-operated electric cars. The restaurant is a popular spot to break a hike from the Rhine valley or from Birseck to Liestal or up to Gempen (sled run in winter).
- Ermitage and Burg Reichenstein, Arlesheim: www.arlesheim.ch. A paradise for young cave explorers! Underneath the Burg Reichenstein there is a picknick area with a fountain where children can pump up their own drinking water. There are several deep caves along the trail down to Ermitage park.
- Schloss Wildenstein above Bubendorf –dungeon and waterfall: www.schloss-wildenstein-bubendorf.ch. On the plateau between Bubendorf and Hölstein, time seems to have stopped: Suddenly you find yourself in an enchanted landscape surrounded by oak trees five centuries old. Wildenstein Castle is situated in the midst of this old garden. Guided tours of the old part of the castle are available every Sunday. You can even visit the armoury and the dungeon, where a puppet in chains is waiting to be released. The children will love it. There is a nice picnic area near the waterfall at the foot of castle hill.