Where to give birth?

Where to give birth?

In Switzerland, about 98% of all babies are born in hospitals, which provide the necessary medical equipment in case of an emergency. The remaining 2% are born at midwives’ homes, birthing homes or at home. Talk to your gynaecologist or your midwife and find out which place suits you best. You should start to think about where to give birth around the middle of the second trimester. Many hospitals organise free information events, where you can visit the delivery room and meet the staff. You don’t need to sign up for these information events, just check the dates with each hospital directly. Should you prefer a hospital or clinic outside your canton of residence, make sure you check with your health insurance to see whether or not the cost is covered. It is best to register your child for the mandatory basic and supplementary health insurance before the baby is born.

Home births

Home births are quite rare in Switzerland. According to the Swiss midwives association only about 1 percent of all births in Switzerland occur at home. Various studies have shown that a planned home birth can be as safe as a hospital birth as long you are healthy and have had no complications during your pregnancy. In the case of a homebirth, you give birth to your child at home, with a midwife attending.

Switzerland

Addresses and links

  • Birthing centres: You can find a list of all birthing centres in Switzerland, listed by canton, on the following website: www.geburtshaus.ch
  • Home births: A midwife can be found through the homepage of the Swiss association of midwives*www.hebamme.ch
  • The Familienwegweiser Pro Familia gives also information on midwives: www.profamilia.ch

_____

* = Services explicitly offered also in other languages than German

Aargau

Addressen and links

Cantonal hospitals (public hospitals):

Private hospitals:

Birthing centres

Home births

  • A midwife can be found through the homepage of the Swiss association of midwives *: www.hebamme.ch

_____

* =Services explicitly also offered in other languages than German.

Basel-Landschaft

Addresses and links

Cantonal hospitals (public hospitals)

Privat hospitals

Birthing centres

Homebirths

  • A list of the midwives practicing in the region of Basel is available under: www.baslerhebamme.ch

Basel-Stadt

Addresses and links

Cantonal hospitals (public hospitals)

Private hospital

Birthing centres

 Note: Midwiferies are open to all insurance categories and across cantonal borders

Homebirths

Solothurn

Addresses and links

Cantonal hospitals (public hospitals)

Birthing centres

  • There is currently no birthing centre in the Canton of Solothurn. 

Home births

  • A midwife can be found through the homepage of the Swiss associaton of midwives*www.hebamme.ch

_____

* = Services explicitly offered also in other languages than German